Great Writers inspire
The project will create and assemble a substantial new body of open content with a literary theme (focused on engaging new students) to be released through a new online web portal : Writers Inspire
The materials will be grouped around a set of specific writers and thematic collections, curated by subject specialists and steered and evaluated by the demands of the subject community. There will be a concentration on textual materials with embedded illustrative audio and video together with new publishing methods that include a substantial set of material released as ebooks for mobile devices.
The material, intended to provide an engaging introduction to a typical humanities undergraduate education, will be available to be reused in education worldwide and will be an innovative introduction to the wider UK open educational resources movement. All material will be released under a suitable open content licence and published as downloads and feeds for use in perpetuity.
The selection of content to be released will initially include:
- A series of lectures recorded at a one-day 'Be Inspired' event Read about the Dec 14th event in our blog!
- Early sets of material already made available
- Shakespeare - including a new series of 11 lectures
- Timelines, themes, thematic areas, academic essays and profiles.
- Lecture series on D.H. Lawrence, George Eliot, Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare amongst others.
- Classic texts from the 18th Century (c. 2,000 texts openly released as ebooks)
- A variety of material from the Oxford Text Archive (http://ota.oucs.ox.ac.uk/)
- Scholarly blog posts, historical timelines and links to related contextual online lectures from the wider humanities area at Oxford and beyond
Great Writers is an OpenSpires OER Project (Open Educational Resources) run by the Learning Technologies Group, Oxford University Computing Services, University of Oxford. It is funded by the HEA and JISC through the Open Educational Resources (OER) Programme.